Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Copyright: Permission

Getting Permission

Need to gather permission to use copyrighted material?

You may contact Ron Belbin at the WNC Library for assistance with questions concerning copyright, or 445-3229. The Library works with the Copyright Clearance Center to obtain permission to reproduce copyrighted content such as journal and book chapters, place items on library reserve, or on electronic reserve. Click on Copyright Clearance Center for more information about their services.

Creative Commons provides a pool of CC-licensed content that you can freely and legally use.   You can locate hundreds of millions of works — from songs and videos to scientific and academic material — available to the public for free and legal use under the terms of our copyright licenses, with more being contributed every day."

If you choose to seek permission on your own, the University of Texas Libraries provides valuable information about how to obtain permission to use a particular work. It also includes a Sample Letter Requesting Permission, and information on what to do if you cannot find the owner for permission.

SHERPA/RoMEO  is a searchable database of publisher's policies regarding the self- archiving of journal articles on the web and in Open Access repositories.”  As an academic author putting articles you have published online can be a difficult situation.  The publisher may or may not allow you to post the articles.  Search this database to find out the conditions that may apply.